This weekend marks the 10th annual New York Art Book Fair, the world’s largest event devoted to artists’ books, catalogs, monographs, periodicals, and zines. Organized by iconic Chelsea bookstore Printed Matter Inc., the fair begins this Friday, September 18th and runs through the 20th at MoMA PS1 in Long Island City, Queens. It boasts over 370 booksellers, antiquarians, artists, institutions and independent publishers from twenty-eight countries and welcomes over 35,000 attendees.
There will be live performances, book signings, local food and drink, new books, old books, old people, young people – basically what we’re saying is there is something for everyone. And before you ask yourself if you really need to attend a book fair to buy books devoted to art, keep these reasons in mind.
7. Art books are a great way to get exposed to an artists’ full body of work.
6. Art books allow you to support your favorite artist if purchasing their work is not within your budget.
5. Art books are a key element to decorating your apartment in style.
4. Art books are a clever way to trick your friends into thinking you are more sophisticated than you are.
3. Art books make awesome gifts!
2. Art books make it possible to tell an artist’s backstory and explain more conceptual or abstract works.
1. And finally, attending the Art Books Fair is a great way to meet someone that knows how to read.